Thursday, June 11, 2009

Of catching falling knives and standing in front of a freight train


I think everyone who has done some trading are well aware of the danger of "trying to catch falling knives" - you know, like buying a plummeting stock in anticipation of price reversal.


The opposite also happens when trying to sell short in the face of strong buying pressure. My recent EUR.NZD short trade had all this hallmarks of trying to be a hero in front of a speeding bus, or a freight train, whatever...


Eventually this trade did go to where I had intended to take profit, but this took place AFTER my stop was already taken out. Just look at the size of the bullish bar right before the pinbar that prompted me to short this pair....


Sometimes the market does give us clues as to what it intend to do. It depends on how well we interpret them.

No comments:

Post a Comment